Are there any courses offered in English?

Yes. Browse the course catalogue.

Studies and exams

What is the examination system at Aarhus University? What types of exams are there? How do I register for exams? What does ECTS stand for? How does the Danish grading system work? 

You can find the answers to these and many other questions here.

I would like to follow a course at a department I have not been admitted to. What should I do?

Students must visit the specific department to ask for permission to register for a course.

Who is my coordinator?

Your coordinator is your contact person at your department. You can talk to your coordinator about registering for courses and other academic matters. You can find the name of their coordinator on the Self-Service site.

I need to get my learning agreement signed. Can the International Centre sign it?

Yes, but your AU coordinator must sign it first. Once your coordinator has signed the learning agreement, bring it to the International Centre during our opening hours (Monday to Friday 10am-2pm).



Which application on the Self-Service website do I complete?

The only application you need to complete is the ‘Application form for exchange students’ on the Self Service site.

I have to upload my transcript of records. What is that and where can I find it?

Your transcript of records is a list of results (grades) from the courses you have completed at your home university. You should ask your home coordinator where you can request a copy of these academic records.

My coordinator does not receive the confirmation email. What do I do?

First, check that you have filled in all the information correctly. Second, send the email again and ask your coordinator to check his/her junk email folder. If this does not work then contact the International Centre at ic@au.dk.

I am not able to click on the ‘Submit’ button. What do I do?

There is only one reason for not being able to submit an application – it is not complete. Please make sure you have completed all the required sections. Before you submit your application, your coordinator has to confirm your nomination. Once your coordinator has confirmed this, you will be able to submit your application.

I have received an acceptance email. What is the next step?

You will receive a welcome package in the mail shortly after receiving the acceptance email. The welcome package will contain instructions for the next steps as well as any necessary documentation.

If you are experiencing any problems with the online application other than those listed above, please contact us at ic@au.dk.


How do I create a new user?

Click on the ‘new user’ button in the bottom left corner of the Self Service page and follow the instructions.

I do not understand the instructions. What do I do?

After you have clicked on the ‘new user’ button, you will have to fill in a short form. This form only requires you to fill in some of the fields. You must include your email address on the first line, and date of birth, sex and name in the third line. The second line requires a CPR number which you do not have and therefore, do not need to include.

Once you have submitted this page you will receive an email, which will redirect you to a page where you must create a password and include other information. All the information on this page must be completed. If you do not receive the email, make sure you check your junk email folder.

The following is an explanation of each line:

  • c/o name is your name.
  • Address is your address in your home country.
  • Danish postal office, choose (not Danish) because you are likely not from Denmark.
  • Foreign city and zip code is the name of your home city and the postal code for that city corresponding to your address. For example, Aarhus 8000 would be appropriate for this line, where Aarhus is the city and 8000 is the zip code.
  • Country is your home country corresponding to your address.

Once you complete and submit this page you will have access to the Self Service website where you can begin the online application procedure.


How do I apply for a room?

Exchange students can apply for housing when they fill out the online application form. Read more on the housing webpage for exchange students.

What are my housing options?

The housing options are clearly outlined on our housing website for exchange students.

Can I change accommodation?

As a rule, AU Housing provides only one housing offer per student. This means that we cannot relocate you to another residence if you are not satisfied with your current accommodation.

Should such a situation occur, you are responsible to make your own arrangements. Please note that you cannot apply for alternative housing through the Central Housing Office in Aarhus (Kollegiekontoret) as they only allow a limited number of exchange students in their residence halls. Their quota has already been filled by AU Housing and other higher education institutions.

Even though there might be vacant residences due to students leaving Aarhus early, these rooms may not be distributed by the university and therefore cannot be given to other exchange students.

How much is my monthly rent?

You can find an overview of the monthly rent at many dorms on this list.

Are the rooms furnished?

Yes, rooms are furnished with basic necessities. You can learn more about what is included on our housing website for exchange students.

Besides AU Housing, is there other ways to find accommodation?

Yes, you can find housing on your own. Read more here. 

For more housing questions, see the Housing FAQ page.


You will find important information about Immigration and Registration procedures on the page Residence Certificate/Permit and CPR  of the website for current international students.  


Can someone pick me up at the airport or train station? / How do I travel from the airport/train/bus to my campus city?

Find these answers and more on the portal for current international students

How is the weather in Denmark?

Denmark has a temperate climate, moderated by the warm Gulf Stream. Denmark has four distinct seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter. The spring months of April and May are mild and the summer months of June, July and August are the hottest. Autumn runs from September to November and tends to be rainy and cloudy. The winter months of December to March are normally cold, with frost and snow.

Denmark is in the North Temperate Zone and has an average temperature of 7.7˚C (46˚F). February tends to be the coldest month, with average temperatures of 0.0˚C (32˚F), whereas August tends to be the hottest month with average temperatures of 15.7˚C (60˚F).

Read more at www.VisitDenmark.dk


Which health insurance do I need?

All students arriving in Denmark are covered by the Danish Health Securities Act, which offers free health care (from doctors and in hospitals). Danish Health Securities Act does not cover evacuation, repatriation, or personal liability, therefore, separate personal travel insurance is highly recommended. More information about the insurances, as well as healthcare

Students must apply for a CPR number (Danish security number) to have continued access to the free health care system in Denmark. The International Centre organises an event, during your Introduction Week, where you can apply for CPR number as a Nordic citizen, EU/EEA citizen or Non-EU citizen. It is highly recommended that you apply for CPR with the International Centre, during this event.


How much money will I need?

See an example of a budget and read more about banking and finance. However, a student’s budget varies depending on how much their personal spending amounts to.

As an international student can I open a bank account? If so, where and how?

Yes, you can, but you need a CPR number to do so. Visit any bank and they will guide you through the process.

Can I withdraw money from an ATM?

Yes, you can. Automated teller machines (ATMs) are located all around the city. Be aware of any extra charges that your bank may charge you or any limits to how much money you can withdraw set by your bank.  


Can I apply for a scholarship?

If you come from China, Egypt, Brazil, Japan, South Korea or Russia you may apply for The Danish Government Scholarships under the Cultural Agreements.


Where can I find general information regarding Aarhus University?

You can browse the International Centre website or visit the university's main page.

Where can I find general information regarding the university campus cities?

Aarhus University has has campuses in three cities (Aarhus, Copenhagen and Herning).

Am I allowed to work while studying in Denmark?

For more information about this, please go to Working in Denmark.


I would like to learn the Danish language. Can I get help?

Yes. Danish language courses are offered through Lærdansk during the semester. Find further information about learning Danish.