Sublease form

Do you have a room or a flat you want to sublet?

AU Housing needs many rooms for international students in the fall semester. We are primarily looking for furnished rooms with a rent lower than 4000 DKK, and where the distance to campus is less than 7 km. Apartments and houses where student can live together are also of interest.


What happens next?

We will as soon as possible try to find a letter for you. We will send an email to you as well as to the potential letter and ask you to contact each other.

Then you fill in a leasing contract. You need to use an authorized version of a leasing contract. You can download it from here. Unfortunately there are no authorized versions available in English, but you can translate it using this translation. Therefore, you must fill out and sign the Danish version, as this is the only one that is valid according to Danish legislation. When you have filled in the contract, please send two copies to your tenant. Ask him/her to sign both contracts and return one to you as soon as possible. Attach the English version, so the tenant understands the contract.

Please notice that you enter into the agreement as private persons, and that the role of the International Centre is solely to establish the contact between you. Aarhus University is not responsible for any economic loss due to incidents or missing payments. Should any problems arise you are of course welcome to contact the International Centre and we will do what we can to help you.

Rent payment

Normally it is suitable that you continue paying your rent to your landlord as usual, and to state in the leasing contract that your tenant should pay rent to your account. If it suits you better you can of course also ask your tenant to pay directly to your landlord. No matter which model you choose, it is important that you include payment conditions and notices in the contract. Please remember to include expenses of electricity, heating and water.


We recommend that you ask for 3 months’ rent as deposit. This is of course to be paid back to the tenant when the contract ends, eventual costs deducted. Make a clear agreement with your tenant on when the two of you together can inspect the room.

Moving in and out

Ask your new tenant to fill out a checklist when he/she moves in. Use this or draw one up yourself.

When it is time for your tenant to move out again fill out a new checklist together. Use this or draw one up yourselves. If you can't agree on possible occurred damages, make sure to document these with photos and invite offers from repair companies.


It is an advantage that you can sublet your accommodation with furniture, at least the most basic things like chair, table, bed, lamps and book case/wardrobe.

If you are not able to sublet with furniture please contact the IC. We might be able to find some furniture.

Term of notice

We recommend that the term of notice is set to 3 months.

Claim for damages

Compensation for any damages to your room, furniture or other belongings should be directed to your tenant (he/she might have an insurance to cover the loss) Aarhus University is not responsible for any damages to your room, furniture or belongings.