Housing FAQ

Should I apply for housing via AU Housing or Student Housing Aarhus?

AU Housing disposes of a limited number of rooms for international students where you can live for a maximum of 12 months. The rooms are furnished, and AU Housing provides a number of services that make life easier for international students arriving directly from abroad. You can not choose a specific location of your accommodation and you will receive one housing offer only.

Student Housing Aarhus disposes of a large number of rooms which can be applied for by Danish and international students on the same conditions. There is no special service for international students. Rooms are not furnished. You can live in the rooms for as long as you are a student (there is a student activity control twice a year.) You can choose specific dorms that you like (but check the waiting lists before you choose, because the dorms in the city center and other popular dorms have 2-4 years waiting time.) You can decline a housing offer twice.

Tuition paying students can apply for housing both via AU Housing and via Student Housing Aarhus - at the same time. When/if you receive a housing offer, you can always decline it, if you don't need it.

I am allocated a room far out of town. Can I move closer to the University?

Most students are allocated rooms outside the campus area and the city center. If you must live in the city centre, you will have to look for a room at the private market. From most rooms allocated through the AU Housing Service it is possible to reach the AU within 30 minutes, either by bike or by bus. You have the option of signing up to our accommodation waiting list if you wish to change your accommodation. If any vacancies become available, they will be distributed to the students on the waiting list. However, the number of students wanting to move closer to campus by far exceeds the number of available rooms, so your best chance is to find a room yourself at the private market.

My contract starts 1.7., but I don’t arrive until 1.8. Do I need to pay rent for July?

Yes, you need to pay your rent from the start of your housing period. It is not possible to postpone a housing contract.

My contract starts 15.7., but I have a problem and I will not arrive until 1.8. Do I need to pay rent for half of July?

Yes, you need to pay your rent from the start of your housing period no matter the reason for your delay including problems with visa, illness or any other reasons.

I have seen there is a vacant room in a dorm where I want to live. Can I move there?

No. The AU Housing Service can provide only one room for you. Only a limited number of rooms in each dorm are reserved for exchange students and vacant rooms can’t be given to exchange students. If you want to move, you can either look for a room at the private market or sign up at the waiting list at the International Centre.

Why do I have to leave my room 7 working days before my contract expires?

This rule applies to some dorms in order to allow the caretaker to maintain the room. The rule is in accordance with Danish rental law. Contact your janitor to ask exactly when you should move out.

I have applied for accommodation but I am not going to study in Århus after all. Do I have to pay for my accommodation anyway?

If you inform us at least 6 weeks before your contract starts, we will refund you the paid rent. If you inform us less than 6 weeks before your contract starts, you will have to observe the termination notice in your contract and pay the rent for this period. The invoice will be sent to you.

I haven’t got my visa yet, so my arrival in Aarhus will be delayed. Can I postpone my contract?

Your landlord or residence expects the rent to be paid regardless of the reason for your delay. All leasing contracts are individual and cannot be transferred to another person. Therefore it is not possible to postpone a leasing contract, but a contract can always be cancelled with 6 weeks notice.

Can I live in University accommodation in my second year?

No. The AU housing office can provide accommodation for you for maximum 2 semesters only.

Is it necessary to purchase property insurance?

Yes. The University does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damages to property or injuries on the premises. Therefore it is strongly recommended that you take out a home content insurance to protect against such losses.

Can I choose which University residence I will be living in?

It is unfortunately not possible to choose a specific residence. When you fill in your housing application, you can choose whether you would prefer to live near campus, have a cheap room or a private bathroom, and you can choose whether you would prefer to live in a residence, a shared facilities house or a sublet room.

What if I am not happy with my allocated room?

If you are not happy with your accommodation when you arrive, the IC recommends that you allow time to adjust to your new residence. Our experience shows that many students find they are very happy once they have settled in and met new friends.

If, after 4 weeks, you still wish to move, please sign up to our accommodation waiting list at the IC. If any vacancies become available they will be distributed to the students on the waiting list.

What about bed linen?

You have to bring (or buy) your own duvet, pillow, bed linen and towels.

Do I need to bring my own furniture?

No. All rooms rented through AU are furnished with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp. Some rooms might have extra furniture. The kitchens are equipped with basic utensils for cooking and eating.

Is there any accommodation suitable for students with special needs?

If you have a disability or medical condition which needs to be taken into account in the accommodation allocation procedure, you should write this on the Accommodation Application Form.  Only information provided at the time of application, along with written confirmation from a Medical Practitioner, will be taken into account in the allocation process.  All disability/medical information provided will be treated confidentially and be used for the accommodation procedure only.

I need family accommodation, what should I do?

The number of residences suitable for families and couples are in limited supply at our university. Please write about your preferences in the special remarks part of the application form and we will do our best to find you suitable accommodation.

I have a pet. Can I bring it with me?

Only one dorm, Skjoldhøjkollegiet, allows pets. Therefore you have to write in your application that you bring a pet and therefore need to be allocated a room at the Skjoldhøj kollegium.