Erasmus Placement at Aarhus University

The Erasmus programme offers students at higher educational institutions the opportunity to spend a placement period at an institution in another participating country. Read more about the Erasmus placement programme and notice in particular the information about the required Training Agreement.

Aarhus University receives a number of applications for Erasmus Placement each year and accepts some of them. If you are interested in applying for an Erasmus Placement at Aarhus University, you have to make sure that your home university will endorse your application. As a minimum it is important that all applicants are able to provide a Training Agreement which has to be endorsed by the home university and subsequently by a relevant supervisor from AU. Please note, that it is your own responsibility to find a researcher, who is willing to host and supervise you. You can search for researchers here.

Being accepted for an Erasmus Placement at AU means that the applicant is allowed to carry out the program as described in the Training Agreement. Therefore, the acceptance only includes the academic content of a placement. Non-academic services such as student ID, mentor/buddy programme and intro activities etc. are not included in an Erasmus Placement at AU. Nor will students at AU through Erasmus Placement receive a transcript of records since an Erasmus Placement is rarely combined with enrolment into courses. For information about housing, please see information below.

Lastly, in some cases an Erasmus Placement may be combined with the student writing his/her thesis at AU, but such a combination also requires that the student obtains the endorsement by relevant AU faculty for supervision. Similar to an Erasmus Placement, an Erasmus Placement combined with thesis work only includes the academic content of a placement. Non-academic services are not included in an Erasmus Placement combined with thesis work at AU.

This distinction between academic and non-academic services is due to the fact that the Danish University system is largely based on students enrolling for courses and passing exams. Since most Erasmus Placements do not include students signing up for courses, the AU International Centre does not provide non-academic services in relation to an Erasmus Placement at AU.

Below you'll find the steps to be followed when looking for an internship at AU:

  • Before arrival to AU

    • Find relevant researcher to host and supervise you. Search for researchers here
    • Provide Erasmus+ learning agreement for traineeships signed by home university and by relevant researcher at AU. The document is provided by your home university
    • According to the learning agreement for traineeships (p. 3) the trainee is responsible for taking out all relevant insurance incl. accident and liability insurances. AU does not cover any kind of insurances
    • Check up on AU Housing service
  • Upon arrival at AU

  • Before departure from AU

    • Remember to get the Traineeship Certificate signed by the researcher
    • De-registre at Citizen Service
    • Follow housing procedures regarding check out incl. hand in keys

Internship at Aarhus University

Student 'placement' is an alternative term to the widely used term 'traineeship' or 'internship'. 

If you are a student at a university outside the EU/EEC countries it is possible to arrange an internship at Aarhus University. If you want to come as an intern you have to make an agreement with at certain department and a professor/counsellor at Aarhus University directly. The International Centre is not able to assist in this field.

The internship has to be an integrated part of your studies at your home university. It means that there has to be an educational agreement between your home department and the AU host department.

You can be granted a residence and work permit to work as an intern within various fields but it always has to supplement an educational programme which you have begun in your country of origin or another country of which you are a legal resident.

To be granted a residence and work permit for interns and to avoid interns being used as cheap labour you have to meet these conditions and apply using the so-called PR3 formular.

Please be aware that you are not allowed to enter Denmark as a tourist and start your internship. You need to have the residence and work permit beforehand.


Furthermore you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must be between 18 and 34 of age (both years included) at the time you submit the application
  • The internship must have as its objective to supplement an educational programme which you have begun or completed in your country of origin or another country of which you are a legal resident. You must include in your application an authorised translation of documentation of your on-going or completed education, including a list of the courses you have followed
  • The internship must have a natural relation to your on-going or completed education in your country of origin or another country of which you are a legal resident. This means that your internship must be professionally relevant to your on-going or completed education, and if you have completed your education, this must have happened recently. If you completed your education more than 18 months ago, if will require an individual assessment of your application to determine whether there is a natural relation between your education and the internship. In such cases, information about your occupation since you completed your education will be taken into account
  • The place of internship must be able to provide adequate and relevant training. If internship approvals are not issued in your professional field, you must include a statement describing the planned course of the internship, who will supervise you during the internship, and information about whether the place of internship has any experience with receiving interns/trainees. The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration may also obtain supplementary information from the relevant organisations
  • Salary and employment conditions must correspond to Danish collective agreements for interns. If you are to work as an unpaid intern, you must document that you can support yourself for the entire internship. You must document that you have at your disposal an amount corresponding to Danish student grants (SU) multiplied by the amount of months the internship is to run for. The student grant amount is DKK 6,015 per month (2017 level). Documentation can be a bank statement in your name or documentation of student grant or scholarship
  • Your application must include a description of your responsibilities and an educational plan
  • Your application must include a description of how your internship will supplement your ongoing education in your country of origin or another country of which you are a legal resident
    For further information contact the International Centre,




Information for AU hosts (in Danish)

For at modtage en praktikant fra et ikke EU-/EØS-land skal praktikanten og I som institut udfylde en PR3-ansøgning om arbejds- og opholdstilladelse. I skal som udgangspunkt påbegynde ansøgning (del 2), inden den sendes til færdigudfyldelse af praktikanten. Anvend word-filen og udfyld denne. I punkt 10 bliver der spurgt om afdelingen er godkendt til at have praktikanter. Hertil svares ja. Der skal ikke sendes yderligere documentation. Når I har udfyldt jeres del af ansøgningen, gemmes denne som pdf-fil og sendes sammen med yderligere dokumentation (jvf nedenfor) til den studerende.

PR3-ansøgningen findes her på Styrelsen for Internationalisering og Integration (SIRI) hjemmeside. 

Som praktikvært skal I ud over ansøgningen vedlægge beskrivelse af arbejdsopgaver samt en uddannelsesplan for praktikanten. 

For yderligere information, venligst kontakt Helle Colding Seiersen, International Uddannelse:

For more information, contact your faculty: