Freemovers and professionals

International freemovers/professionals can apply for courses using the online application system from december 1st to March 15th. Along with your application you must hand in the required documentation.

You have to apply as a freemover if;

  • You are attending a university that does not have a bilateral partnership agreement with Aarhus University
  • Your university does not want to nominate you for exchange or if your nomination has been rejected
  • You are a working professional not currently enrolled at a university 

Please note that EU/EEA/Swiss citizens are obliged to pay participation fees whereas tuition fees only apply to freemovers from countries outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland.

Required documents for your application

If you are applying for courses at bachelor level you must upload the following to your application:

  • Your secondary school leaving certificate (high school or equivalent)
  • A transcript showing the courses of your current studies.
  • Documentation for your English language proficiency. Please find the list of the accepted English tests as well as the list of applicants who are exempted from providing English tests here
  • A copy of your passport (EU citizens can also use ID cards) 

If you are applying for courses at master level you must upload the following to your application:

  • Your Bachelor's degree diploma including transcript of records and a transcript of records showing the courses (and any results) of your current studies
    • you must hold a relevant Bachelor's degree, or as a minimum have obtained 180 ECTS points in your study programme, by the time of application. For example; if you are applying for a course within economics you need a bachelor within economics, business administration or similar. 
  • Documentation for your English language proficiency. Please find the list of the accepted English tests as well as the list of applicants who are exempted from providing English tests here
  • A copy of your passport (EU citizens can upload ID cards instead) 

Fees change according to subject area and ECTS: Please find the exact fee on the respective course page. 

Unfortunately we cannot give any exemptions to the academic or language requirements and we do not offer scholarships of any kind to Summer University students.


Are the courses first come - first served?/How are the seats allocated?

No! None of the courses are first come first served.

Unless otherwise announced in the course description found in the course catalogue, seats in any given course will be distributed to the following groups in descending order: 

·         Aarhus University students from primary program or related education (see course catalogue)

·         Aarhus University students from any other study program

·         Students from other Danish universities applying to take the course as a credit module as well as students  nominated through an exchange agreement or other partnership agreement

·         Free movers and other Danish applicants (Tomplads)

Within these groups the seats will distributed as described in the course description.

This also means that technically it does not matter if you apply by December 1st or March 15th, as long as you apply within the deadline March 15th at 23.59.

Can I change/cancel my registration?

You are free to change and cancel your registrations as long as the registration is still open. After the deadline March 15th it is not possible to change to another course but you can cancel your registration until 2 weeks before course start.

Will I have to pay for the course?

Yes, if you are accepted to a course as a freemover student you will have to pay a fee.
You can see the fee on the page for each course.

Participation fee must be paid by all admitted freemover students.

All non-EU/EEA citizens are also liable to pay tuition fee.

Exempted from payment of tuition fees are:

  • students on a bilateral exchange programme
  • students with a permanent residence permit in Denmark
  • students with temporary residence permit with a view to/possibility of permanent residence in Denmark
  • children of workers from non-EU/EEA countries

You can find the tuition and participation fee for each course on the individual course sites.

When and how do I pay?

You will have to pay by credit card via an online webshop link what we will send you with the acceptance letter. You will have 14 days to pay from the day you receive the acceptance letter.

Is it possible to get a refund if I change my plans?

Yes, you can get a full refund upon cancellations made at least four weeks prior to course start. It is not possible to get a refund for cancellations made within four weeks of course start. 

I consider my English skills acceptable, but I have not taken an English test. What can I do?

According to the Danish Ministry of Science's Order no. 212 §9 (21/2 2012) on Admission to Danish Universities, and the Danish Ministry of Education’s Order no. 214 §9 (21/2 2012) on Admission to Higher Education in Denmark (The Admission Order), all applicants must, as a minimum, document English language qualifications comparable to an "English B level" in the Danish upper secondary school (Gymnasium). A few courses require 'English A', which is one level higher than 'English B'.

Here you'll find an overview of how to document your English language proficiency.

Most of the accepted English tests are internationally available.

Do you have any scholarships available for AU Summer University?

No! Unfortunately, we do not have any kind of scholarships available for AU Summer University courses.

I may not receive my language test results/other documentation before the deadline (15 March). Can I still apply?

You can submit your application in the application system, uploading an empty document instead of your missing documentation (please make a note in the comments that you will be providing the documentation at a later stage). But we cannot register you before we have all the required documents, so if a course is full once we receive it after the 15th, we will have to offer you an alternative course instead.

My university uses another kind of credit system than ECTS - how do I know if I have what's equivalent to 180 ECTS?

Generally speaking, 180 ECTS is equivalent to three years of full-time studies. You can find guidelines made by the Danish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher education here. If your country is not on the list, we will do an individual assesment on your documentation once we receive your application.

What is included in the course fee?

The fee only covers the actual course fee. 

This means that books, course material, housing, social program and meals are not included in the fees and must be paid separately.

Estimated budget for one month in Aarhus: 

  • Social Activities: 100-140 EUR
  • Housing: 430 EUR
  • Meals: 200 EUR
  • Transport: 40 EUR
  • Books: 40 EUR
  • Total: 810-850 EUR